Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice.
By Lara Sriftman
I contribute to PositivelyPositive.com, a website that provides uplifting and inspirational messages in the form of blog posts, videos, and handpicked quotes to its followers every day. I saw this list that Positively Positive co-founder Eric Handler posted and found it so moving that I felt compelled to share it with azureazure.com readers and any past and present dog-owners who will also be compelled by its simple moving message.
1. My life is likely to last ten to fifteen years. Any separation from you will be painful; remember that before you get me.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me–it is crucial to my wellbeing.
4. Do not be angry at me for long, and do not lock me up as punishment.
5. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. I only have you.
6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice.
7. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget.
8. Remember before you hit me that I have sharp teeth that could easily hurt you, but I choose not to bite you because I love you.
9. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I might not be getting the right food, or I have been out too long, or my heart is getting too old and weak.
10. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old. Accompany me on difficult journeys. Never say: “I cannot bear to watch” or “let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there – even my death. ■
© azureazure.com | 2012